Odyssey Online Learning

5 Online Learning Advantages for High School Students

Janna DeCamps - Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Online learning is growing in popularity as a more flexible and advantageous way to learn and achieve personal goals. A student who chooses to attend an online high school will need to embrace a different style of learning than a traditional classroom but there are many advantages that come with an online learning environment.

Many students and their families have attested to the difference an online learning setting has made in their lives that online by opening doors to other opportunities and provided a more flexible schedule that allows them to better prepare for college and pursuing other passions.  http://player.vimeo.com/video/202081892?autoplay=1&hd=1&show_title=1&show_byline=1& 

Here are 5 ways online learning is an advantage for high school students:

1. More Comfortable Learning Environment. While bullying is an unfortunate reality to a traditional style school, it is nonetheless a reality for many children and teens. Every child has a unique personality and learning style and when a child can be in a stress-free environment and free to be themselves, they of course retain more information, have better study habits and perform better on tests.

2. Less Distractions. A traditional classroom with 20+ students can be a very difficult setting especially for children with anxiety or attention issues. When I child can be removed from so much activity that over stimulates their emotions, they can slow down to focus and concentrate more.

3. Convenience and Flexibility. Many students are leading busy lives with competitive sports and training schedules. An online learning environment allows the student to student when and where is most convenient for them. All they need is a computer and internet access and they can interact with teachers and log in and work on their lessons at their convenience without the fear of getting behind or playing catch up for time missed in a traditional classroom.

4. Self-Discipline. Some might see a student who is not learning in a classroom and accountability at a disadvantage but having more flexibility teaches and empowers a child to be more accountable to him or herself and cultivates more self-discipline. A skill they will need to grow and development for a successful adulthood.

5. College Preparation. Many students who are taking their classes online have more time to volunteer and serve in their communities which is a prerequisite for many colleges and universities. The self-discipline they are learning as a high school student and being personally accountable is preparing them to handle the pressures and higher expectations when going off to college.

These are just a few of the many reasons why more and more high school aged students are turning to online learning. At Odyssey Online Learning, we take pride in serving our students and their learning needs. We invite you to learn more about our school, curriculum.

BACK