Odyssey Online Learning

5 Ways High School Students Can Be More Organized & Productive

Janna DeCamps - Monday, July 17, 2017

The life of a high schooler can be a hectic one. Studies, hobbies, extra curricular activities, sports, home and community commitments can be overwhelming and stressful but it doesn’t have to be with a little bit of planning and organization to ensure you are using the best use of the hours in your day.

Here are 5 ways you can be more organize and productive as a high school student:

1. Have A To-Do List

Having a daily schedule and to-do list of when you will work, study and play will take the guess work out of what an average day will look like and set you up for success later in life by forming good habits now. Making a list of your responsibilities ensures you don’t forget to turn in homework or procrastinate on a big project. Creating your to-do list the night before ensures you can hit the ground running when you wake up.

There are several ways to create a to-do list: in a desk calendar/planner, a spiral notebook or if you are the techie type, the Evernote app is a great option.

2. Keep Your Work In One Place

Nothing screams disorganization like having notes, files, projects and papers scattered in multiple places. Use an expandable file folder labeled for each class that you keep in a back pack or satchel and create folders on a thumb drive that you can take with you and use on any computer.

3. Find Your Productive Time

Are you a night owl and work better after dark? Are you a morning person who can run circles around everyone else before 9 a.m.? Do you catch your second wind right after lunch? You will be more efficient when you are at your best so keep that in mind when creating your schedule and to-do list. If you are the type who can’t hold their eyes open past 10 p.m. then it doesn’t make sense to procrastinate the day away and then try to stay up all night to meet a deadline. You will only cause unnecessary stress for yourself.

4. Tune Out Distractions

When you have blocked out time to work ensure that you block out all distractions. Close down social media, put your phone away, hang up a “Do Not Disturb” sign and close your door. Whatever it takes for you not to be interrupted otherwise work that should only require an hour of time will become an all day event putting you behind on your other responsibilities and leave you frustrated. You have to get good at saying “No.”

5. Get Plenty Of Rest

This may sound like a no-brainer, but the technology driven world we live in has caused us to feel like we have to be constantly connected to information. Surfing social media newsfeeds, text messages, online news resources and getting lost for hours on YouTube watching entertaining but time sucking videos.

Getting quality rest every day is vital to performing well in all areas of our lives. If you are a morning person, ensure you go to bed at a decent hour to receive a good 7-8 hours of sleep. If you are a night owl, make time during the day to grab a power nap and recharge.

Following these tips will create healthy habits not only during your high school years but also set you up for success in the future for college and a thriving career.

BACK

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES

A lot is happening at Odyssey Online Learning! Receive email alerts about local events, learning tips, tutoring assistance and other valuable updates.