Odyssey Online Learning

September 2017 Student of the Month

Janna DeCamps - Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Congratulations to Student of the Month Alyssa King!!! Alyssa was chosen for student because she hit the ground running this year, is eager to be successful, and very ahead in most of her courses. We are so proud of all of her hard work and dedication!

Here is Alyssa’s story: 

Growing up in a military family, I have always felt more comfortable being around and had similar interests as guys. Since I was such a tomboy and not like most girls, I was constantly picked on. Other students would treat me differently, would say all types of mean things to me, would spread rumors, and would make fun of me. I even had issues with the bus driver calling me names. Although I would tell my teachers and my mom even met with the school principal about this issue, nothing was ever done about it. So, I decided to stick up for myself and ended up getting into a fight; however, I was the one who ended up in trouble.

I became tired of being bullied and of being held back so I decided to try online school. I tried several different online schools before deciding on Odyssey Online Learning. The other online schools said that I would be able to work at my own pace; however, I could not which resulted in my becoming bored, getting lazy, and slacking off on my work. Thankfully, here at Odyssey, I am able to work at my own pace which meets my learning needs. This school is very understanding and they listen to their students concerns, needs, and/or frustrations. My advisor, Mr. Pedde has helped me set a schedule where I will be able to graduate early. Not only has Mr. Pedde been a great help, but the teachers are very supportive, respectful, and accommodating of the fact that I would like to graduate early.

Since I tend to travel a good bit, I can get my school work by attending an online school environment, and I am also able to be with my mom, who has MS, so that I can help her during the day. Sometimes she must go to Savannah for medical reasons and I am now able to travel with her since I can take school with me.  With my brother living in Virginia, I can now travel to see him and complete my school work at the same time.

Since the beginning of school this year, I have worked really hard in my classes and I am already in Quarter 3 for some of them and almost in Quarter 3 for the rest of them. My goal is to finish as quickly as possible so that I can travel without the burden of school. This would not have been possible without the ability of being able to work at the pace that I want and of being able to work from where I want. I am grateful for all my teachers as well! I definitely recommend Odyssey Online Learning over any of the other online schools!

Some fun facts about Alyssa:

I live in Walterboro, SC. I love Odyssey Online Learning because I can do as much school work I want whenever I want. My favorite subject would have to be biology. This ties into my future plan; I want to be a biologist that specializes in herpetology. My favorite thing to do outside of school is mess with my snakes or read books. I've never really had to study since I have a type of photographic memory like my mom. However, I will say listening to classical music while doing school work helps me a lot. I cannot live without coffee; I drink 3-7 cups a day. It helps me a lot since I do wake up at 6am. I do not have a hero since my mom always told me to depend on yourself, but someone that does inspire me is Brain Barczyk. He has the pure passion for reptiles and without him I wouldn't have found my passion for them. I want to spend my life working with these amazing creatures like he does. 

BACK