Odyssey Online Learning

To Our Graduates

Janna DeCamps - Friday, June 16, 2017

As we come to the close of an amazing 2016-2017 school year here at Odyssey Online Learning, our teachers and staff took some time to share their words of wisdom, life reflections and favorite quotes with our graduating seniors to take with them as they embark on the next phase of their journey. We hope these words encourage you to keep pursuing your dreams, inspire you to own your worth and motivate you to keep working hard to achieve all the greatness life has to offer.

“Rules for Living:

• Help some people along the way.
  • Seek balance. A rich life is a balanced life.
  • Don't be colorblind. Enjoy our enriching differences.
  • Hold within yourself a capacity for outrage at injustice.
  • Stay in touch with the people who matter to you.
  • Life is too hard to be lived alone. Find time for your family.
  • Be strong enough to say. "I don't know".
  • Smile, laugh and be pleasant.
  • Be bold - do be prudent- but please take risks.
  • Life must be fun. Kindness is essential. Have a good time. Hurt as few people as possible.”- Larry Luchino”

Stephanie Cagle, Principal 

More than anything you invest in throughout life, invest time in relationships with those you love-make memories.  In the end, it’s the only thing that matters. Kristen (KC) Goforth, English Instructor

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass… It's about learning to dance in the rain.” Vivian Greene. Cynthia Stroud, Odyssey Learning Online Board of Directors

Be kind. Be smart. Behave! Katie Smith, Mathematics Teacher

Do what you are passionate about so you love what you do. Really listen to the phrase “don’t sweat the small stuff” as it is very true. Never stop learning about what interests you. Jennifer Vanasse, Science Teacher

“All Great Achievements Require Time.” – Maya Angelou ~ Please be willing to dedicate all time possible toward pursuing your goals. Mediocrity requires less of you, but Extraordinary will make the best of you! Mr. Armando Reddick, Intervention & Retention Specialist

Be a person of integrity.  Do what is right, even when it’s hard. It is more important to be a good person than anything else. Ashleigh O’Neill, Curriculum Coordinator

Be committed in life to have grit, the passion and perseverance to keep going to achieve in all areas of your life. Angie Ackerman, English teacher

Be kind, be grateful, chase your dreams not money, living a life of service brings you more fulfillment and contentment then anything you can buy, attain or achieve.

- Janna DeCamps, Community Outreach Manager

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth.” Williams W. Purkey ~ Karen Swofford, Special Education Coordinator

Love yourself.  No one else can do that for you.Alicia Willeford, Social Studies Department

You don’t have to have all the answers today.  You don’t need to have a plan that encompasses the rest of your life.  You simply need a “next step.”  Set an attainable goal for where you want to be in a few years, and work hard to reach it.  As these next few years pass, you’ll learn much about yourself and the world.  Your path may take a few unexpected turns, but along the way, you’ll figure out where (and WHO) you really want to be.  Until you do, stay focused on that next step… And even if it’s a baby step, keep moving forward. Ann Rochen, Science Teacher

Hi graduates!  Here are some thoughts that have helped me a bit in navigating this world we live in.  Always give others the benefit of the doubt, at least at first.  When you’re stuck, remember that if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got.  So, take a deep breath, look over the situation, and see what works and what doesn’t.  Don’t hesitate to ask for help.   Try to get at least 3 different sources on any significant situation or decision-making, whether it’s a repair you need, a college to choose, a job offer, or just forming an opinion about something.  Finally, be kind, be true, persevere and be willing to ask for forgiveness as well as accept it, and that includes being kind to and forgiving of yourself. Mary Hathaway, Geography and Economics

Be persistent in achieving your goals and chasing your dreams but don't forget that with persistence, you also need to be flexible.  Success comes from our ability to monitor the situation we are in and adjust to the circumstances without giving up! It took James Dyson, the inventor of the Dyson vacuum cleaner,  15 years and 5,127 attempts at making and testing prototypes before his vacuum first cracked the market.  Now a Dyson vacuum is considered to be one of the best available. Cindy K. Jackson, Mathematics Instructor

“That diploma you hold in your hands today is really just your learner’s permit for the rest of the drive through life. Remember, you don’t have to be smarter than the next person, all you have to do is be willing to work harder than the next person.” Jimmy Iovine, Music Producer ~ Ashley Kelley, Lead School Counselor

Don’t go out to eat if you can’t afford to tip, wear sunscreen, and remember that everything you post online will be out there forever. - Kelly Studebaker, SPED Teacher & Advisor

See the world. That means put down your smartphone or iPad and physically make a journey. Take mental pictures and create memories of the world around you, not selfies. The cloud may lose your photos of some fantastic meal you had, and Instagram may go bankrupt, but you will always have your memories! - Cindy Stockman, Social Studies Teacher

“If you don’t GO after what you want, you’ll never have it

If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO

If you do not STEP forward, you’ll always be in the same place”

Renee Olenick, Executive Administrative Assistant

Please do not ever let anyone tell you that you cannot reach your dreams or rise to your full potential. I distinctly remember a guidance counselor telling me and my mother that I should not even consider a 4 year college or university. In her opinion, I would not be successful. Well, let me tell you, not only did I attend a four year university, I made the dean’s list while I was there. Then I went on to pursue multiple degrees afterwards. Where there is a will, there is a way. Many of you may be first generation college students as was I. Shoot for the moon and reach for the stars. You can do it. It may not be easy, but it will be worth it.- Deniela Collington, English Teacher

Don’t let the things you want get in the way of appreciating the things you have in life.

-Andrew Pedde, Head Academic Advisor

BACK

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES

A lot is happening at Odyssey Online Learning! Receive email alerts about local events, learning tips, tutoring assistance and other valuable updates.