Odyssey Online Learning - Logo
This is a placeholder for the Yext Knolwedge Tags. This message will not appear on the live site, but only within the editor. The Yext Knowledge Tags are successfully installed and will be added to the website.
,

Meet the Board

Student-Driven Services  |  Personalized Attention  |  Flexible Programs

Student-Driven Services
Personalized Attention
Flexible Programs

Board Meetings

Please click the links below to view the agendas and minutes:

2023-2024 School Year

Odyssey Online Learning Board Members

Meet the members of the Odyssey Online Learning Board of Directors. If you have any questions about Odyssey Online Learning, feel free to call (803) 735-9110 or request a call back online.

Mario Williams

Board Chair

Mario D. Williams is the owner of Heavenly Hands Home Healthcare, LLC in Aiken, SC and a Staffing Company. He is the father of 4 children, a member of the Lions Club, and the manager of the Salvation Army Homeless Shelter. He enjoys spending time with family and helping in the community. He grew up in Edgefield, SC, then moved to Virginia for college. In 2010, Mr. Williams moved to Atlanta, GA where he was in law enforcement until getting hurt in 2013. He then moved back to SC and got involved in the community. Mr. Williams has been an assistant teacher in the 4k program and a Director of after school programs for several schools. His passion is helping to shape the future kids of our world. He brings a lot of outside of the box ideas to help this online school grow to its potential.

Marquis Flemings

Board Vice Chairman

Marquis Flemings is the Executive Director of BEST Skills Academy. For the past 17 years, Marquis has been involved in education and service to the community. His compassion and expertise and his drive to help students fare just some of motivating factors in creating BEST Skills Academy. The pursuit of education and desire to help students succeed in and out of the classroom.

Mrs. Amy Cox

Board Treasurer

Amy Cox is currently the SVP, Director of Employee Strategy at South State Bank. Amy has 20 years of Human Resources experience in the areas of employee engagement, business strategy, organizational design and effectiveness, succession and workforce planning, performance management, compensation, recruitment, and compliance. Amy’s education in Psychology and Business from The College of Charleston along with her certifications of PHR and SHRM-CP have helped the companies she has worked for grow and perform at top levels.

Amy has a passion for growing leaders which involves working directly with leaders on their career goals and hiring talented employees to work with them. Amy understands that her future employees are being molded today in all types of schools including brick and mortar and virtual environments similar to the work environment of today. She is eager to ensure her company, industry and state are ready for that future and that means working with schools and children now to ensure they are ready for the workforce.

Mrs. Penny McDaniel

Board Secretary

Penny McDaniel has over 20 years of experience in Property/Casualty Insurance. She is a licensed Property/Casualty Adjuster in both South Carolina and Florida. As a Property/Casualty Adjuster she has handled multiple lines of insurance business (Workers Compensation, Auto and Property Claims), assisted with business strategy and development, organization and development of good business practice through the years.

Through her work as a Property/Casualty Adjuster, she has worked with many diverse cultures and individuals during their most vulnerable time to get through a difficult situation. Penny’s empathy and compassion for working with people have assisted many companies with building great customer service and making difficult situations better for everyone. Penny has an Associate Degree in Business Administration and Paralegal Studies. Penny has volunteered with The Salvation Army and The Red Cross in many catastrophe situations. She currently volunteers with the Boy Scouts of America and has been in several roles over the last eight years.

Penny is looking forward to the work she will do as a board member for Odyssey Online Learning. She feels that the compassion she has for working with people will help grow Odyssey Online Learning in becoming one of the top choices in schools. Not only is she a parent to a student at Odyssey Online Learning but she believes in the program and that every family should have access to good quality learning. Odyssey Online Learning is the way for future learning and she believes that it enables a student to be prepared for the future.

Joe Bowers

Board Member

A ninth-generation native South Carolinian, Joe Bowers is the Estate Division Manager of the Greenville County Probate Court. Joe has been very active in the Palmetto State advocating for school choice. He is involved in local and state politics, and has worked on numerous political campaigns. As the top vote-getter, Joe was elected in 2014 to serve a four-year term as a member of the Board of School Trustees of St. James-Santee Constituent School District No. 1 of Charleston County. In 2016, the county superintendent of education appointed him to serve on Charleston County School District’s Strategic Planning Committee. During his term on the school board, Joe served as the high school liaison, as well as, Chairman of the Districts No. 1 & 2 Joint Consolidation Proposal Committee. Joe also worked in the charter school sector for five years and has worked in local government since 2022.

Joe grew up in Charleston and lived in the Columbia area for two years before moving to Greenville. He attended Bishop England High School and graduated with a B.A. in Political Science from The Citadel. An active member of Prince of Peace Catholic Church, Joe was conferred a knighthood of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem by Pope Francis in 2022.

Viktoria McKenna

Board Member

Viktoria McKenna joined the Odyssey Online Learning Board in 2020. An advocate for school choice, Viktoria is excited to be a part of Odyssey Online Learning community and hopes South Carolina students and parents are provided with an option for a quality education that enhances the student’s learning experience.

Viktoria grew up in Spartanburg, SC, and attended the University of South Carolina, graduating with a Bachelor of Science in public health in 2017. She is currently a Master of Public Health candidate at the George Washington University. Viktoria not only has experience in public health, but also in politics. She is the Finance and Operations Director for the South Carolina Republican Party.

Viktoria is eager to see what the future holds for Odyssey Online Learning.

Robert McKenzie

Board Member

Robert served in the United States Marine Corps as a Financial Management Resource Analyst for 7 years, during which he completed a tour in Iraq. He was medically separated at the rank of Sergeant. Following his military service, Robert pursued a career in healthcare, working as a Registered Respiratory Therapist at Prisma Health Baptist Easley Hospital for 5 years. He then served as the Respiratory Care Clinical Coordinator for 2 years. In 2018, Robert made a transition into management, serving as the Manager of Environmental Services at both Prisma Health Baptist Easley Hospital and Oconee Memorial Hospital for 1 year. Robert’s passion for mentoring led him to help establish BEST Skills Academy in April 2019, where he currently serves as the Mentoring Program Director.

Robert’s educational background includes an Associate of Science (A.S.) in Respiratory Care Therapy/Therapist and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Sociology. He is currently pursuing a Master of Arts (M.A.) in Developmental Psychology. In his personal life, Robert is a loving husband and proud father of two daughters, one of whom graduated from Odyssey Online Learning and is now pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture at Clemson University. Robert is dedicated to equipping students with the necessary skills to function as strong, independent, and responsible adults able to overcome any challenges within society.

Board Meetings - Archived Minutes

Please click the links below to view the archived agendas and minutes:

2022-2023 School Year-ARCHIVED

Share by: