Odyssey Online Learning

Employment Opportunities 

Currently seeking Synchronous Instructors & Advisors. Job descriptions below:

Synchronous Instructor 

Role:  Synchronous Instructor                                                                                                                                                                                                 Location:  Odyssey Online Learning                                                                                                                                                                                             Reports to:  Curriculum Coordinator (direct), Executive Director (indirect)                                                                                                                               Direct Reports: None FLSA                                                                                                                                                                                                             Status:  Exempt                    

Job Summary:

This subject-specific teacher is responsible for managing the synchronous learning environment for group and individual instruction.  The Synchronous Instructor interacts in real-time with the student through a variety of methods, including online lectures, discussion groups, tutorials, and occasional field trips and face-to-face meetings or events.  For full-time teachers this is an 11 month position, and some evening and weekend hours will be required in order to communicate with students and families. For part-time teachers this is an 11 month position, and some evening and weekend hours will be required in order to communicate with students and families. All part-time teachers are expected to work a minimum of 20 hours per week. The Synchronous Instructor works online from a home-based office. 

The items outlined below identify a number of tasks and responsibilities that cover the key areas of the expectations for the job of a Synchronous Instructor. Some of the roles and responsibilities may change and additional responsibilities may be assigned throughout the course of the school year.  

Main Responsibilities:

Instruction and Student Achievement

• Learn the OOL curriculum for assigned grade levels and subjects  
  • Demonstrate knowledge of state standards, testing requirements, and graduation requirements within the core content  
  • Evaluate and provide feedback for subjective questions in the students’ assessments
  • Monitor Discussion Boards / Forums to answer student questions and resolve issues within 24 hours of the original posting
  • Approve student Blog entries before they are posted
  • Supplement and reinforce the curriculum with online and offline materials and activities
  • Use information generated from the student’s performance to make data-driven decisions and adjustments to the curriculum and learning model
  • Use the OOL System to provide students and parents with regular feedback regarding student performance and progress  
  • Provide intervention tasks for students to complete to gain knowledge, skills and confidence to raise achievement and address weaknesses on a particular learning standard
  • Support the learning needs of special education students

Maintain the Virtual Academy Learning Environment

• Manage and maintain a home office free from distractions, that supports instruction and student achievement
  • Initiate and strengthen relationships with students and their families through many different interactions
  • Organize and participate in orientation, student testing, training, social and educational activities, field trips and clubs for students and families

Professional Responsibilities

• Commit to the use of cutting-edge technology to deliver high-quality instruction to students state-wide o Build community by contributing to school message boards, newsletter and events 
  • Participate in staff meetings and professional development sessions
  • Participate in the Mentoring program as either a Mentor or a Mentee
  • Communicate with colleagues and supervisors on a regular basis
  • Participate in student recruitment and registration activities to help the school meet enrollment goals
  • Maintain confidentiality as required by the school and by law 

Additional duties as assigned  

Key Relationships:

Internal: Executive Director, School Operations Manager, Paraprofessionals, Advisors, Special Education Coordinator, Curriculum Coordinator, and SPED Advisor/Instructors

External: Parents/Guardians, Students, Charter Board, and State Department of Education 

Key Behavioral Competencies: 

Personal Accountability - When commits to do something, does it decisively, responsibly and with urgency.  Can be relied on consistently, including:   Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency through prioritizing and following through on commitments. Drives hard to meet and frequently exceed goals and objectives within tight timeframes. 

Decision Making - Makes timely decisions. Takes bold, decisive action or makes commitments, despite risks, conflict or uncertainty, after considering the available courses of action and the needs and values of others.  

Adaptability -  Responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways of working.  Seeks new skills, behaviors and knowledge to increase personal performance capabilities. 

Relationship-Building - Establishes rapport with people easily. Develops and maintains a network of contacts who can provide information, help and access to others. 

Background:

• Bachelor degree - Minimum one-year teaching experience in a traditional (brick & mortar) school preferred 
  • Experience teaching or participating in an e-learning/online learning course preferred
  • Teacher Certification or approved alternative certification; willingness to pursue certification in other states based on the needs of the school
  • Content proficiency - Baccalaureate or Advanced degree in the subject to be taught, or o Passed a rigorous state content exam in the subject  Strong written and verbal skills
  • Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
  • Proficiency with multimedia communication tools, such as discussion boards, web logs, email, instant messaging and audio podcasts
  • Ability and availability to travel within the state as needed
  • High degree of flexibility
  • Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment 
  • Experience developing and revising curriculum preferred

Academic Advisor  

Role:  Academic Advisor 
Location:  Odyssey Online Learning 
Reports to:  School Counselor (direct), Executive Director (in-direct) 
Direct Reports: none 
FLSA Status:  Exempt  

Job Summary

The Academic Advisor is a certified education professional whose primary role is to guide the student towards academic success, social development and overall preparation for their post-secondary pursuits.  They will serve as a coach, mentor and motivator, at the same time ensuring that each student under their care receives a customized learning experience, by utilizing all available instructional resources to ensure success. The Academic Advisor, in serving as the primary point of contact for the student and family, is responsible for the student’s global educational well being while enrolled at Odyssey Online Learning.  This position is an 11 month position and is located at the school’s administrative office.   

Main Responsibilities

Student schedules and learning plans 
  •  Learn the Odyssey Online Learning curriculum for assigned grade levels and subjects   
  •  Demonstrate knowledge of state standards, testing requirements, and graduation requirements across core content and electives 
  •  Review student transcripts to ensure appropriates scheduling of courses 
  •  Work with the student to determine an academically appropriate schedule and personal learning plan for the student based on the prior knowledge base  and potential career path
  •  Enter student schedule information into the student information system (SIS) to maintain accurate academic records 
  •  Create a personal learning plan for each student
  •  Ensure that each student has a well rounded schedule that best coordinate with the minimum yearly requirements 
  •  Develop an Individualized Graduation Plan (IGP) or Personal Learning Plan (PLP), per state requirements for each of student while including their  parents 
  •  Ensure students are passing classes and maintain progress towards an on-time graduation  

Attendance 
  •  Ensure that parents/guardians verify student attendance at regular intervals.   
  •  Create individualized intervention plans for students with attendance issues 
  •  Guidance Services 
  •  Develop an annual long-range plan, based on identified student needs, that reflects national school counseling standards and state program components  related to guidance curriculum, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support
  •  Develop appropriate short-term goals, including aligned activities, resources, and schedules, to ensure full implementation of the long-range plan 
 Coordinate virtual and actual college and opportunity fairs for students and families
  •  Assist schools in promoting the goals of quality career development of students in ninth through twelfth grade 
  •  Provide educators, parents, and students with information on career and technology education programs offered  
  •  Support students in the exploration of career clusters and the selection of an area of academic focus within a cluster of study
  •  Learn and become familiar with ways to improve and promote career development opportunities  
  •  Coordinate community resources and citizens representing diverse occupations in career development activities for parents and students 
 Maintenance of the Virtual Academy Learning Environment 
  •  Communicate with each family regarding the student schedule and progress throughout the month via phone, email, mail and other methods 
  •  Support student technology needs working as a partner with the dedicated technology support personnel
  •  Manage and maintain a virtual work space that supports instruction and student achievement.  
  •  Be available to students and families on a daily basis. 
  •  Communicate with each family regarding the student schedule a minimum of weekly contacts via email and biweekly by phone. 
  •  Support student technology needs working as a partner with the dedicated technology support personnel. 
  •  Organize and participate in orientation, training, social and educational activities, field trips and clubs for students and families. 
 Professional Responsibilities
  •  Organize and participate in orientation, training, social and educational activities, field trips and clubs for students and families 
  •  Commit to the use of best practices and to the use of cutting-edge technology to deliver sound  
  •  Serve as the “Customer Service Representative” for the school, ensuring that the student’s experience in our school is maximized 
  •  Build community by contributing to school message boards, newsletter and events  
  •  Participate in staff meetings and professional development sessions 
  •  Participate in the Mentoring program as either a Mentor or a Mentee 
  •  Communicate with colleagues and supervisors on a regular basis  Maintain confidentiality as required by the school and by law  
 Additional duties as assigned

Key Relationships: 

Internal- Instructors, Curriculum Coordinator, Special Education Coordinator, Advisors, Data Manager, Registrar, Executive Director, and School Operations Manager

External-Parents/Guardians, Students, Charter Board, State Department of Education 

Key Behavioral Competencies:  
  •  Personal Accountability - When commits to do something, does it decisively, responsibly and with urgency
  •  Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency through prioritizing and following through on commitments
  •  Drives hard to meet and frequently exceed goals and objectives within tight time frames
Can be relied on consistently, including: 
  • Decision Making
  • Makes timely decisions 
  • Takes bold, decisive action or makes commitments, despite risks, conflict or uncertainty, after considering the available courses of action and the needs and values of others.   
Customer Service Orientation:
  •  Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external client and stakeholder needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer, (within the   resources that can be made available) 
  •  Shows a passion for improving service delivery and a commitment to continuous improvement  
Relationship-Building:
  •  Establishes rapport with people easily 
  •  Develops and maintains a network of contacts who can provide information, help and access to others.  
Background: 
  •  Bachelor degree, Masters degree preferred 
  •  Minimum two years guidance counseling or teaching experience in a traditional (brick & mortar) or virtual school preferred  
  •  Experience teaching or participating in an e-learning/online learning course preferred 
  •  Content proficiency o Baccalaureate or Advanced degree in the subject to be taught, or o Passed a rigorous state content exam in the subject 
  •  Strong written and verbal skills  Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook 
  •  Proficiency with multimedia communication tools, such as discussion boards, web logs, email, instant messaging, and audio podcasts 
  •  Ability and availability to travel within the state as needed 
  •  High degree of flexibility 
  •  Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment        

Thank you for your interest in the opportunity to join the Odyssey Online team. Our mission is to provide a challenging, enriching, and meaningful curriculum that educates and respects the individual student and the diverse community of learners in an environment that is safe and conducive to learning. We aspire to have like minded employees on our team. Please send a resume´and cover letter to Andrea Amburn.

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES

A lot is happening at Odyssey Online Learning! Receive email alerts about local events, learning tips, tutoring assistance and other valuable updates.