Odyssey Online Learning

Special Education Referral

Upon request, the South Carolina Public Charter School District is required to evaluate a child for eligibility for special education services. A request for evaluation is known as a referral. When the district receives a referral, the district will appoint an Evaluation Planning team to determine if the child has a disability, and if the child needs special education services. The district locates, identifies, and evaluates all children with disabilities who are enrolled by their parents in schools within the school district.A school staff member who reasonably believes a child may be a child with a disability has a legal duty to refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school district in which the child is enrolled. Before referring the child, the person making the referral must inform the child's parent that the referral will be made.Others, including parents, who reasonably believe a child is a child with a disability, may also refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school or district in which the child is enrolled.Referrals must be in writing and include the reason why the person believes the child is a child with a disability.

A referral may be made by contacting Karen Swofford, Coordinator of Special Education, Odyssey Online, at 864-266-5077, or by writing her at Odyssey Online Learning, attention Karen Swofford, 200 ArborLake Drive, Suite 301, Columbia, SC 29223.

This notice is displayed on the website below and in the conference room and break/copy room in the Odyssey Online office.

Special Education Referral Special Education Referral (802 KB)

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES

A lot is happening at Odyssey Online Learning! Receive email alerts about local events, learning tips, tutoring assistance and other valuable updates.